Top Questions to Ask About Your Catalog Content Plan for 2023
By Jonathan Larsen, senior director, product development, Auto Care Association
The author, filmmaker and keynote speaker Greg S. Reid is quoted as saying:
- A dream written down with a date becomes a goal.
- A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan.
- A plan backed by action makes your dreams come true.
We at Auto Care Association have a dream of enabling real-time data for catalog content to further increase aftermarket companies’ efficiency, sales and speed to market. To make this dream a reality, we are working to provide the latest content at over triple the speed: we have a goal in 2023 to provide the Product Classification database (PCdb), Product Attribute database (PAdb) and the Qualifier database (Qdb) weekly. We are taking our publication of this content from 12 times a year to over 45 times in the coming year. With the introduction of more frequent data, it’s time to ask a few questions about your catalog content goals. Perhaps you have already started your 2023 catalog content goal or perhaps you have a dream of improving your content, but aren’t sure how to start.
Does this sound like your current catalog content management?
- You are using multiple spreadsheets to manage your catalog content. You might be thinking, “There has to be a better way, but how?”
- You have one or maybe no image for your product. You know you need more, but not sure how many.
- You know you have missing coverage, but not sure how to quantify it. Would Vehicles in Operation (VIO) help?
- You would like to start doing videos for your products. But how?
- You might be wondering if you have free-form text that should be codified.
- You have heard of the terms “ACES and PIES,” but you thought these were playing cards and something you eat.
- You want to expand your vehicle coverage around the world, but aren’t sure where to start.
As a manufacturer, you may be asking, “How am I going to provide my product catalog to my customers faster?” Or as a brick-and-mortar or online store, “How am I going to add additional brands to my storefront?”
It is never too early to start defining your catalog content plan. Your goal should be working on having the right part, at the right place and at the right time.
Here are just three questions you should consider when planning your catalog content for 2023:
- What is the time it takes for launching a new product?
- Do I have the right digital assets for my products?
- Is my catalog content using all the features of Auto Care Data Standards?
From the above three questions, you can then ask follow-up questions:
- What bottlenecks within our current process could we resolve?
- How much time or money would we save if we made a change?
- Would these changes reduce returns?
If you are heading to AAPEX 2022, you are heading to one of the best places to network with multiple solution providers that can help you define your catalog content plan for 2023 and beyond. Take time to explore solution providers at the show and see what new features they have added to their solutions.
If you’re not sure where to get started, come and meet the digital products team from Auto Care Association at our Innovation Intersection booth in the Level 2 Lobby of the Venetian Expo. We can talk about ACES and PIES and what goals you would like to achieve with your catalog content for 2023.
Oct. 12, 2022